Skip Main Navigation

Sexual Assault

AHC Students against sexual assault

Sexual Assault Fact Sheet Handout

North County Rape Crisis and Child Protection Center Video

Click the icon above to view a video from the North SB County Rape Crisis and Child Protection Center

If you have been sexually assaulted...

  1. Prioritize your physical and emotional health. Get to a safe place. Call a friend or someone you trust to be with you.

  2. Call the North County Rape Crisis Centers (NCRCC)

    24 Hour Crisis & Information Hotline 805-736-7273

    The NCRCC provides free, confidential support and counseling. They can offer valuable information and answers to your questions.

  3. On campus, call Campus Police at 3911 (5911 LVC) or come to the Student Health Center in W-12 (SM) or 1-109 (LVC) during office hours. The Student Health Center number is 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3212. 
    Non-emergency police numbers - Santa Maria Campus ext. 3652, Lompoc Valley Center ext. 5652

  4. Seek medical help. Taking care of your body may be the first step to recovering control of your life. A medical exam can ascertain whether infection, sexual transmitted infection, pregnancy, internal injuries or shock are warranting further treatment. If you choose to report the rape, you may receive medical care through SART (Sexual Assault Response Team). Community clinics, Planned Parenthood and private doctors also provide medical care. You are not required to report to law enforcement when you go to a clinic or doctor. However, if you talk with a doctor or nurse about the assault, they are obligated to report this information to law enforcement regardless of your age.

Reporting Options:

  1. North County Rape Crisis Center has trained advocates to talk with you about your rights and options in relation to medical and legal concerns. (805-736-7273, office) The advocate’s primary role is to support you. They will give you as much information as you need and will support your decisions. If you decide to get medical care and/or report to the police, they can be with you through the entire procedure.

  2. If you choose to report, you can call law enforcement directly at 911 or ask an advocate to assist you in making the call. If you are considering making a report to law enforcement, do not douche, shower, bathe, change or destroy your clothes immediately following the assault. Although it is normal to want to clean up immediately after an assault, doing so removes vital evidence. Once the call is made, a police officer will meet with you and take a report. You have the right to have someone with you during the interview procedure. The medical exam should be done as soon as possible after the assault.

  3. If you wish to report anonymously, you may do so. Some people want law enforcement to be aware of an assault and assailant but wish to remain anonymous. The North County Rape Crisis Center will help you complete an anonymous victim report and will send copies to the appropriate agencies. Law enforcement will not make any arrests based on an anonymous report; however, the information may be helpful in investigating similar cases. 

Survivors of Sexual Assault may...

  1. File an anonymous report for the purpose of documentation only.

  2. Contact  Allan Hancock College Campus Police: they will escort you to your classes or car as needed, or support you with enforcing restraining orders while on campus.

  3. Report to both the Campus Police and campus student conduct system.

  4. File a civil suit against the accused.

  5. Seek to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)- If you know your assailant and fear further contact, a TRO may provide you with added protection. TRO states that the assailant cannot call you, come near you, or in any other way harass you for the duration of the order.  A TRO can be obtained through a private attorney or the Legal Aid Foundation (963-6754). Once the assailant has been given notice of the restraining order, he can be arrested for violating any of its terms.

  6. Request academic assistance for missed classes or exams, or help with rearranging your coursework. An AHC personal counselor or your advocate for the North County Rape Crisis Center can accompany you in meeting with your instructor or the dean. 


Local Sexual Assault Crisis Centers

Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center/ Standing Together to End Sexual Assault
433 E. Cañon Perdido St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-963-6832 Office

North County Rape Crisis and Child Protection Center (Lompoc Office)
112 E. Walnut Ave, Lompoc, CA 93436
(805)736-7273 Hotline 
(805)736-8535 Office

North County Rape Crisis and Child Protection Center (Santa Maria Office)
301 S. Miller St, Suite 103, Santa Maria, CA 93454
805-736-7273 Hotline
805-922-2994 Office

Sexual Assault Recovery and Prevention Center
11573 Los Osos Valley Rd. Suite D, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
(805)545-8888 Hotline & Office 

Domestic Violence Solutions

24 Hour Crisis & Information Hotline  805-964-5245

Domestic Violence Solutions for Santa Barbara County


R.A.I.N.N. (Rape of Youth & Incest National Network Hotline)
Automatically connects the caller to a Rape Crisis Center in her/his area based on the caller's area code. 800-656-4673

Legal Aid Foundation Offices

Santa Barbara Main Office
301 E. Canon Perdido Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Phone: 805-963-6754
Fax: 805-963-6756

Santa Maria Main Office
301 S. Miller Street, Ste. 121
Santa Maria, CA 93454
Phone: 805-922-9909
Fax: 805-347-4494

Lompoc Main Office
604 E. Ocean Ave, Ste. B
Lompoc, CA 93436
Phone: 805-736-6582
Fax: 805-740-2773