Skip Main Navigation



Allan Hancock College welcomes your application as an international student, and our staff will make every effort to assist you. Our admission requirements conform to the regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for issuing F-1 student visas.

Download International Student Application
Read our welcome letter to international students
Read International Student FAQs


International Student Application Information

To be accepted for admission as an international student at Allan Hancock College, you must be able to speak, read, write and understand English at a level that will allow you to successfully complete college work. English proficiency can be determined by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) administered worldwide by the Educational Testing Service. The test may be paper-based, computer-based, or Internet-based. You may write to them at the following address: Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151. Their telephone number is 609-771-7100. The code to report TOEFL scores to Allan Hancock College is 4002. No application from abroad can be considered unless we have received your TOEFL score. This requirement is waived if you come from a country that uses English as the primary language in its educational system.

Other requirements for admission include:

  1. Graduation from a secondary school that is equivalent to an American high school. Official records and transcripts, certified and translated into English, must accompany your application.
  2. International students that are accepted by another college or university in the United States must attend that institution for at least one semester before applying for transfer to Allan Hancock College. Transfer students from other colleges must have completed at least 12 semester units at the first institution with at least a C average and have approval for transfer from the institution of attendance.
  3. You must submit official college transcripts from all U.S. colleges and/or universities you have attended.
  4. Before entering the country, students must present evidence that they have the financial resources to pay for tuition and living expenses for one year.  The tuition fee is payable at the time of registration, and no exceptions are made.  Financial Aid is NOT available for international students.  You will need approximately $20,000 in U.S. currency for tuition, living expenses and other school related fees and expenses for 2 semesters (9 months) at Allan Hancock College.  Please refer to the financial statement (included in the application packet)  for the breakdown of fees. FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO STATE LEGISLATION AND/OR ALLAN HANCOCK COLLEGE BOARD ACTION.
  5. Each applicant must fully complete and submit the International Student Application (link above) to Allan Hancock College, including a passport-size photograph of themself.
  6. Each applicant accepted for admission will be required to have coverage for health and accident insurance. In the United States health care is extremely expensive and there are no free medical facilities. If you have a policy from your home country that will cover you in the United States, you will be asked to give the name of your insurance company, policy number and expiration date. If you do not have health insurance coverage, you must obtain insurance in the United States. Information about health insurance can be obtained from the Student Health Center.
  7. Each applicant must provide verification of a measles immunization and verification of current tuberculosis skin test with negative results within the last twelve months. Both must be signed by a doctor.

If accepted, all prospective F-1 students with an initial I-20 are required to pay an I-901 SEVIS fee.  This fee must be paid before a visa will be issued.   NOTE:  The SEVIS fee is required by the U.S. Government.  Allan Hancock College receives no funds or services as a result of this fee.  Please go to the following website link for more information, or contact the nearest American Consulate.

If accepted, a student must arrive in Santa Maria at least three weeks prior to the semester start date to meet with the International Student Advisor, meet with an academic counselor and enroll in classes.  All international students must carry a minimum of 12 units each semester and maintain a C average. Students must make their own living arrangements in the United States.  Allan Hancock College does not have dormitories. The Form I-20 of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will be sent after all admission requirements have been met and the applicant has been accepted for admission. 

International students should become familiar with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations as well as college regulations on student conduct and agree to comply with those regulations.  The F-1 visa can be revoked by the college for failure to comply with the standards and regulations established by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and Allan Hancock College.

For more information on the United States regulations visit Study in the States online at: .

**Allan Hancock College reserves the right to amend these rules/policies as may be required by future legislation or Board action.

Application deadlines for First Time International Student Admission:

  • May 1 for the following fall semester
  • November 1 for the following spring semester

Application deadlines for Transfer International Students with a valid, non-expired F-1 Visa:

  • June 1 for the following fall semester
  • December 1 for the following spring semester

All students applying for admission as an international (F-1) student must submit the following materials by May 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester:

  1. The applicant must verify with their embassy that travel to the United States of America is permissible from their home country.
  2. International Student Application. Please type or print in ink. The application must be signed.
  3. Student Financial Statement. You or your financial sponsor must provide official documentation of finances available for support for 9 months. Documentation can be a current bank statement or official letter from the bank or other reasonable proof of available finances.
  4. English Proficiency Verification. Results from the TOEFL exam must be sent to Allan Hancock College. The code to report TOEFL scores to Allan Hancock College is 4002.
  5. Official School Records. You must have official school records from your secondary school.They must be certified,translated into English, and sent to Allan Hancock College. You must also send transcripts from any United States schools, that you may have attended.

Applicant must send all of the above in a complete packet to:

Allan Hancock College
International Student Admission
800 S. College Dr.
Santa Maria, CA 93454-6399

Or documents may be scanned as a PDF attachment and emailed to (please ensure we are able to open your documents in the USA before emailing them)  

The I-20 form will not be issued until all of these completed documents are filed with the Allan Hancock College Admissions office.

  • Non-resident tuition $327 per unit (effective Fall 2023 the fees will be $391 per unit)
  • Enrollment Fee $46 per unit (These fees above may increase each year due to state legislation and Board action.)
  • Books and Supplies (approximately) $1,000 - $1,500 per year
  • Approximate living expenses (Food and Housing for 9 months) $10,500 - $11,500 US Dollars
  • Minimum Total Dollars Necessity (approximately) $18,000 - $20,000

For international student questions or more information, please contact: 

Admissions & Records
1-805-922-6966 ext. 3248