Skip Main Navigation

Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program allows students the opportunity to earn a portion of their college expenses through part-time employment during the school year.  Employment opportunities are available in many different departments and offices on campus.  

Funds are not received unless the student works and earns them. Awarding of FWS funds is extremely limited due to the small amount of funds received each year. In general, FWS awards can range up to a maximum of $5,000 per school year (summer/fall/spring semesters).   

The amount of earning you make depends on your financial need, the amount of other aid you receive, and the availability of FWS funds. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total FWS award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your award amount, your class schedule, and your academic progress.  Unlike the PELL Grant, which provides funds to every eligible student, the campus-based programs provide a certain amount of funds for each participating school to administer each year. When all the money for the FWS program has been allocated, no additional awards can be made.   

It is the student's responsibility to secure a federal work study position.  Students who are able to secure a position will be required to complete an AHC student employment packet and meet all eligibility requirements prior to working. 

Students are paid an hourly wage and are allocated a certain number of hours that can be worked based on the amount of the award.  As work on the job is completed, a monthly timesheet is submitted for the hours worked just as a regular job.  Once a month, you will receive a paycheck for the hours worked for the previous month. 

Students may work until their FWS award is earned in full, until FWS funds are depleted, until the end of the spring semester, the student has been dismissed from their supervisor, is not maintaining required number of units, is not meeting SAP status, or the position is no longer needed, whichever occurs first. 

At that time, the Federal Work Study job ends.  Students wishing to receive FWS for the following year must follow the process below to ensure continued eligibility. 

In order to be considered for Federal Work Study, students must comply with the following requirements: 

  1. Complete and submit your 2023-2024 FAFSA. 
  2. Complete all unsatisfied requirements to complete your financial aid file by logging into myHancock portal; scroll to “My Financial Aid” and click “View My Financial Aid”; choose the Summer 2023 to Spring 2024 and you will see if you have any unsatisfied requirements/ documents to submit.   
  3. Be in good Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status and maintain good SAP status during employment. 
  4. Be enrolled and maintain enrollment in a minimum of 6.0 units for fall/spring/summer. 
  5. Have at least an unmet need after being awarded based on the semester of work ($2,000 fall/spring; $1,000 summer). 
  6. Complete a 2023-2024 Federal Work Study (FWS) Request 
  7. Scan and email your completed 2023-2024 Federal Work Study (FWS) Request form to 
  8. Check your myhancock email for confirmation approximately 2-3 weeks from the time of submission of the 2023-24 Federal Work Study (FWS) Request for the status of your FWS request and next steps.
  9. Once approved, you should check the open positions that are listed on the following website: