Skip Main Navigation

Out of State Residents

Many states require an authorization process for out-of-state institutions to provide online courses to its state residents. States set up agreements of authorization with out-of-state institutions to ensure consumer protection and also safeguard post-secondary education quality in courses and degrees.

Every state has similar, but different, minimum standards that must be met by the institution before that institution is permitted to provide online courses for residents of that state. Each institution must work with the states laws and regulations to procure an authorization agreement.

Allan Hancock College is working to procure agreements with all 50 states and its territories. In the following list of states, Allan Hancock College has been granted authorizations, exemptions, and waivers. Students from these states can register for our online courses.

Arizona Illinois Nevada Tennessee
Colorado Iowa New Jersey Texas
Connecticut* Louisiana North Carolina Vermont
District of Columbia* Maine Ohio Virginia
Florida Mississippi Oklahoma Washington
Kansas* Montana Pennsylvania West Virginia
Hawaii Nebraska South Carolina Wisconsin
Idaho New Hampshire South Dakota  


Allan Hancock College is NOT authorized to  provide online education in the states below. Please check back later to see if authorization has been granted.

Alabama Indiana Minnesota Rhode Island
Alaska Kentucky Missouri Utah
Arkansas Maryland New York Wyoming
Delaware Massachusetts Oregon  
Georgia Michigan Pennsylvania


Students who feel their rights been violated by an instructor or staff member, or who have a complaint about academic matters including grades and curriculum, should first attempt in good faith to resolve the matter with the source of the complaint. If the student is dissatisfied with the outcome of this meeting, they may take their complaint to a department chair or administrator for further review by a third party. If a resolution is not reached at this level, the student may file a formal incident report using the link below. 

For support and advice on the complaint/grievance process, a student may consult with the Vice President, Student Services Office at the Santa Maria Campus Building A-213 or by phone at 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3650. For the complete procedure, see AP 5530  and BP 5530– Student Rights and Grievances. 

File an Incident Report

Sexual Harassment
Complaints involving sexual harassment, race discrimination, sex discrimination and discrimination against those with disabilities, should contact the Title IX Coordinator, Genevieve Siwabessy, Ed.D., Associate Superintendent/Vice President, Student Services at 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3659 or file a Title IX Complaint

Financial Aid
Student appeals relating to Financial Aid decisions, rules and regulations should contact the Student Financial Aid office in order to initiate the Financial Aid appeal process which follows established guidelines. The phone number is 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3200.

Students may contact the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) directly with complaints related to noncompliance with accreditation standards. Information on the ACCJC complaint process can be accessed at