Hello MESA/STEM Students ~ Fall 2023!
We hope you had a great summer and are off to a great start with your semester. We are SUPER EXCITED to see all your faces at the MESA/STEM Academic Success Center in building M500. In order to best serve you, we wanted to remind you of a few important items of business as you journey along your fall 2023 term.
If you have not had a chance to utilize the MESA/STEM website regularly, please get in the habit of checking it at least every two weeks for news and important information. Please visit our website at http://www.hancockcollege.edu/mesa/index.php.
- The MESA/STEM Academic Success Center is open Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 7
p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. When arriving in the center, please make sure to log in at our computer kiosk.
- We are offering Drop-in Tutoring, Review Sessions, and Organized Study Groups to help you succeed and earn higher grades in your STEM courses. The Drop-in Tutoring
is offered both in-person in Building M-500 as well as remotely over Zoom. The Review
Sessions and Organized Study Groups are only available in person at this time. The
Zoom link and schedule for our tutoring services is available on our website.
- All continuing MESA students were mailed a letter from Christine Reed in late June
2023. This is a very important letter and is mailed out annually. It contains your personal
MESA “To-Do List.” It is your responsibility as a MESA student to take care of your “To-Do List.” All students
have items that require action with deadline dates. If you have misplaced it, we have
a copy in your file – just ask Dorine for a copy.
- It is important that every MESA student meet with Christine or Angelica (MESA/STEM Counselors) sometime between August and December to verify you are on track
academically. To schedule an appointment please visit our website.
- The MESA/STEM Activities schedule for the current term is posted to our website. We encourage you to get involved and utilize all our resources and take part in all
our events and activities going on. Please view our 'Calendar of Services and Events'
on our website.
- If you are planning to transfer to university fall 2024, please check your email regularly
for updates and deadline notifications from the MESA/STEM programs and the universities. Make
sure to stay connected to the MESA/STEM program as you prepare to transition to the
next level (exciting!). MESA/STEM and the University Transfer Center will be holding
a variety of workshops throughout the term regarding UC/CSU applications, Personal
Insight Question Development, and financial aid/scholarships to help facilitate your
transfer. The deadline to apply to university is November 30, 2023, but we encourage
all our students to file their application before Thanksgiving break.
- We are excited to have our E5 program – Enticing, Engaging, and Empowering Emerging Engineers – continuing to thrive this year. This program is designed to support women pursuing engineering degrees. If you are interested in joining, please reach out to Angelica in the MESA/STEM Academic Success Center.
We look forward to hearing from all of you wonderful people in MESA/STEM. If there is anything we can do to help you have a great semester, please feel free to let us know. Take Care and Happy Fall 2023!