Student Grievances and Complaints
What are the Grounds for Student Complaints?
- Any act or threat of intimidation, harassment or physical aggression
- Arbitrary imposition of sanctions without due process
- Violation of student rights which are described in board policies or the college catalog
Informal procedure for complaints
When a student feels that they have just cause for a complaint, the following preliminary steps must be taken in the sequence presented within ninety (90) days of the alleged incident:
- Meet with the person(s) involved in the complaint to seek a solution. The Associated Student Body's (ASB) commissioner of student rights may accompany the student and may assist both parties to achieve a mutually acceptable resolution of the complaint.
- Confer with the chairperson of the appropriate department in cases involving faculty or staff. The ASB commissioner of student rights may attend.
- Confer with the vice president, student services, or designee. they will call an informal conference with the parties involved in the complaint. In the case of a complaint against the vice president, student services, confer with the district affirmative action officer. In either case, the ASB commissioner of student rights may attend.
Formal Procedure for Student Complaints
If the student feels that the complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved by the informal procedures, they may submit a formal complaint to the vice president, student services office. Please review the catalog for the formal resolution procedures.
If you have any questions on completing the form or reporting an incident, please contact the Vice President of Student Services office at 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3650.