California Consortium for Equitable Change in Hispanic Serving Institutions Open Educational Resources
What: CC ECHO is implementing a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion [DEI] framework for Open Educational Resources [OER] to design 20 high impact courses. Consortium members include West Hills College Lemoore, College of Marin, Allan Hancock College, and College of the Canyons, all of which are Hispanic Serving Institutions [HSIs]. The grant targets faculty and students at California Community Colleges, federally recognized HSIs, emerging HSIs, and national colleges and universities.
Who: Allan Hancock College, College of the Canyons, College of Marin, and West Hills College Lemoore. The four California community colleges are representative of Northern, Central, and Southern California student demographics.
When: the CC ECHO project will run from Jan 1, 2021 until Dec 31, 2023.
How: funding provided by the U.S. Department of Education Open Textbooks Pilot Program.
- Create peer-reviewed OER for twenty high-enrolled courses that have limited or no OER available.
- Promote textbook affordability, student success, and diversity, equity, and inclusion to benefit all students, particularly underserved students at HSIs.
- Provide professional development for integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion [DEI] in OER and curriculum in order to create culturally relevant OER.
- Share all processes, procedures, and training materials around OER development and DEI with national HSIs.
- Our Lives: An Ethnic Studies Primer
- A People's History of Structural Racism in Academia From A(dministration of Justice)
- Computer Organization
- OpenStax American Government Audiobook
- Sexuality, the Self, and Society
- English: Critical [Thinking - LatinX focus]
- In Progress
- OER and Culturally Responsive Pedagogy and Equity Course for faculty
- English [Critical Thinking - Afro Futurism]
- Introduction to Kinesiology
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- American Government Audiobook
- Spanish Workbook
- Race and Ethnicity
- Basic Drawing
- California Geography
- Criminal Evidence
- Ethnic Studies - Spanish Translation
- Geosciences DEI Guide
- Historical Geology
- Historical Geology Lab Manual
- Introduction to Humanities
- Oceanography Lab Manual
- Two-Dimensional Design
Principal Investigator: Ron Oxford
Project Director: Kelsey Smith
Allan Hancock College Lead: Jessica Scarffe
College of the Canyons Lead: James Glapa-Grossklag
College of Marin Lead: Elle Dimopoulos
The contents of these materials were developed under an Open Textbooks Pilot grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE), U.S. Department of Education. However, those contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the Department of Education, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.