Student Emergency Fund
Review of Emergency funding may take 1-2 weeks to process due to high volume of application requests.
Emergency funds assist students in meeting financial needs as a result of an unexpected event or emergency. The purpose of this funds is to assist students in extenuating cirumstances stay enrolled in college and progress toward graduation, while connecting students with resources that best meet their needs. We encourage students to explore additional resources available to them throughout the Basic Needs Center.
Funds are limited. Due to the very high volume of application submissions, appointments
and requests it may one to two weeks to process your request. You will be contacted
as soon as possible regarding the status of your application and/or request.
The Basic Needs Center and Allan Hancock College is actively working on alternative
means to help students meet their needs. Even if you do not meet all eligibility criteria
for emergency funding, we will work with you one-on-one to connect you with the necessary
resources you need to be successful as a student.
If you have requesting emergency funding and are a credit student, make sure to have completed your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. To receive emergency funding, you will need to also set a Bankmobile account. For assistance with Financial Aid or Bankmobile you can also reach out to a Basic Needs Specialist. Visit us in G-101 or call us at 805-922-6966 ext. 3927.
APPLY FOR THE EMERGENCY FUND THROUGH THE BASIC NEEDS INTAKE FORM.
Awards range from $50 - $500. To ensure equitable distribution of emergency funds, students may only receive up to $500 in emergency funds per semester. All applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
The maximum award per semester is $500.
Please note, emergency fund requests may be denied, partially funded, or fully funded.
We will also review applications on a case-by-case basis. You may receive additional financial support based on extenuating hardships and the availability of funds.
Applicants must meet all of the following:
- Currently enrolled at Allan Hancock College in either credit or noncredit coursework
- Has completed a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (if eligible to), and has unmet need. Those not eligible for FAFSA (i.e. undocumented and international students) can still submit this Emergency Aid request.
- Is in good disciplinary standing at the College (not on probation or suspension)
- Provides supporting documentation to their request.
Alternative resources may be explored for those not eligible based on above criteria.
Unexpected emergencies covered by the Emergency Fund include:
- Housing costs or repairs
- Utilities - gas, phone, electric, water/trash
- Medical Emergency expenses
- Emergency automotive repairs
- Supplies for Learning - books, academic supplies, lab fees, internet, computers
- DACA renewal fees
- Emergency medical/dental/vision expenses
Costs not covered by the emergency fund:
- Tuition Fees
- Fees for other colleges
- Fees for parking tickets, moving violations, traffic school, or expenses related to violation of regulations/laws
- General credit card debt – request needs to be tied to a specific unexpected or emergency cost
You will NOT need to pay back any emergency funds provided by the Basic Needs Office.
Due to the high volume of requests, please allow for 1-2 weeks from the time of your request to receive funds if approved.
A representative from the Basic Needs Office will contact you within 1-2 business days of submission of your application for a brief interview and needs assessment.
We encourage you to review other resources available on the Basic Needs Center website.