FRIENDS OF THE AHC LIBRARY BOOK CLUB
- Friends of the Library Book Club: The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library invites all staff and faculty to participate in timely discussions, develop relationships with peers and mentors, gain a fresh perspective, and re-energize as a team, all through a monthly Book Club! We will be reading a variety of genres to include a mix of fiction and non-fiction. The February book pick is The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (to be discussed on Friday, February 19, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually).
- The March book pick is The Undocumented Americans by Karla Cornejo Villavicencio (to be discussed on Friday, March 19, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually).
- The April book pick is A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (to be discussed on Friday, April 16, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually).
- The May book pick is When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors & Asha Bandele (to be discussed on Friday, May 21, from 1:15-2:15 pm, and we will meet virtually). This book will be read in conjunction with UCSB's campus reading event, UCSB Reads.
FREE LECTURE SERIES AT AHC!
In February and March of 2020, the Friends of the AHC Library sponsored a series of free lectures presented by AHC faculty on the topic of the play Julius Caesar (in conjunction with PCPA's production of it). Missed the lectures? Enjoy Dr. Omidsalar's lecture on tyranny.
Missing your AHC family? See more lectures from the Friends of the Library-sponsored lecture series "Captain G. Allan Hancock -- Man on the Go," presented by Dr. Roger Hall in the fall of 2018.
SPIKE & FRIENDS READ ALOUD
The Friends of the AHC Library were so proud to be partners in starting a new read-aloud program called “Spike & Friends Reads Aloud"! During the spring and summer, new videos were shared of a book reading and these were be posted on AHC’s social media pages. (The readings will be presented by our wonderful PCPA student readers and Early Childhood Studies students, as well as librarians and other brave readers.) We are working on looking at ways to continue programming for this.
ABOUT THE FRIENDS OF THE ahc liBRARY
The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library provide vital ongoing support for the AHC Library. The funds raised through contributions, donations, and special events enable the library to expand the educational resources offered to students and the community.
The Friends of the Allan Hancock College Library was formed in Spring 2000 as part of the Allan Hancock College Foundation. Its mission is to enhance existing and planned library resources and programs and to serve as partners in fostering appreciation for the library.
Become a friend today!
The primary goal of the Friends is to raise funds for materials, projects, and services that exceed the resources of the library budget. Other goals include:
- Fostering enthusiasm for the library and strengthening ties to the community.
- Encouraging bequests and gifts to the library.
- Sponsoring special events and programs that enhance the awareness of the library.
- Supporting the literary works of students, faculty, and staff of Allan Hancock College.