What is Required?
To be eligible for College Achievement Now (CAN) you MUST be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent
Resident AND you MUST meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First-generation college student (Neither parent/guardian has a bachelor's degree)
- Low income (determined by federal guidelines)
- Have a verifiable disability (ie - physical, learning, etc.)
We also look at other factors when evaluating your application. Other criteria include:
GPA, enrollment status, total units completed, educational goal, and academic need.
If you are accepted to the CAN program, you are required to meet specific program
expectations including, but not limited to:
- Attend a mandatory acceptance orientation meeting
- Meet with the Advisor, a Peer Mentor and Counselor
- Attend a field trip or campus event
- Maintain a cumulative 2.30 GPA or higher
- Complete a Student Educational Plan (SEP)
- Must graduate/transfer from Allan Hancock College within 4 years
Top of Page
We're on Facebook!
Click to interact with us via Facebook. CAN Alumni are especially encouraged to join
us on Facebook and provide updates on your achievements and serve as a role models
to our current students.
What students are saying about can
CAN Success Story
Michael comes from a very supportive and loving family who encouraged him to pursue higher education. He was an Independent Study student in high school and came to AHC in the fall of 2010. Michael considers himself a confident and influential "people person." He joined the College Achievement Now program to take advantage of the extra tutoring and free printing. When he started with CAN, he was considering careers in psychology, medicine and music and wanted to go a CSU. Personal guidance and transfer counseling eventually led him to settle on computer science as a major and to transfer to a UC. Michael left his mark at Hancock by being an exemplary student. He received an "A" grade in over 90% of his classes here.
Read More »