Start your nursing career
The nursing programs at Allan Hancock College have been built upon the “ladder concept,” providing the opportunity for upward mobility, while continuing to work in a fulfilling career. At the completion of any step, you may continue or stop, go to work and return for more education later. Physical exam, TB test, and CPR are required for all programs once excepted. In addition, the clinical agencies requires background checks and drug screening.
The Registered Nursing program is fully accredited by the California Board of Registered Nursing. It is a two semester program offered every year starting spring semester. Graduates from accredited vocational nursing programs are eligible to apply. The LVN-RN program is specifically designed to provide the LVN with an opportunity for career advancement and prepares the LVN for the additional responsibilities required of the registered nurse.
The Nursing program is separated into the three areas of education:
- Students must be age 18 (required by California Codes - Business and Professions Code Section 2069-2071)
- Complete Background Check and Drug Screening (required by clinical agencies for placement) - Instructions are included with acceptance packets.
- Current CPR (Healthcare Provider, Professional Rescuer or BLS ONLY)
- Complete Health Physical (required by clinical agencies for placement) - The physical form is included in the acceptance packet.
- Immunization Records which includes the following immunization, positive titers and/or boosters
- Tuberculin skin test required prior to entering the program. Positive PPD requires a standard negative chest x-ray with medical consultation. Standard chest x-ray is required if there is any history of a positive test. Quantiferon Gold test is accepted.
- Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus Toxoid (DPT)
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Series
- Flu Vaccine - Required by facilities
Health Sciences Department, Building M (RM M132)
1-805-922-6966 ext. 3384
Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.