Certified Nursing Assisting
As a certified nursing assistant (CNA), you will be on the front lines of patient care. If you enjoy caring for people who are sick or unable to care for themselves, than a career as a certified nursing assistant may be right for you. Your compassion and skill in patient care will help minimize the stress of patients and provide much needed support for registered nurses (RNs). For many, CNA is the first step to becoming an RN.
Certified nursing assistants, also known as nurses' aides, orderlies, patient care technicians, and home health aides, work under the supervision of a nurse to provide assistance to patients with daily living tasks.
There are two application periods for the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program, May 1-June 1 and October 1-November 1. Applications will be available on this webpage the first day of application period and will end on the last day of each period.
- New applicants will need to turn in an application with proof of completion (or current semester enrollment) of English 101.
- Reapplying applicants will need to show proof of completion of English 101 if you were taking it at the time of last application period. Must have a grade of C or better to remain on the waitlist.
If you wish to be contacted about our Lompoc CNA Program open house, please click below and fill out the form.
Continuing Education Units (CEU)
Nursing is a demanding discipline and the course of study is challenging as well as rewarding. Needs for continuing education units to stay current in the profession are always required.
Home Health Aide Program
Summer application period is April 1 - April 30 In light of the regrettable impact of COVID-19 on course completions, we will not be taking applications for the upcoming Summer Home Health Aide program. Please make note of the winter application period below.
Winter application period is October 15 - November 15
See class search for days and time
Seats are decided upon randomized lottery results.
- NURS 416: Certified Home Health Aide (total of 24 students admitted) - Summer and Winter
You must check with the state to verify CEU courses.
Home Health Aide: (Must provide copy at time of application)
- Current Certified Nurse Assistant Certificate ONLY
- Current CPR Card (Healthcare Provider, Professional Rescuer or BLS Only)
- Current TB Skin Test (Expires 1 year after date given. Chest x-ray expires every two years)
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Series Documentation
The state has very strict guidelines in order to be qualified for the CEU program. You must have had a background check and physical with Allan Hancocks' CNA program within the year to be considered.
Summer application period is April 1 - April 30
NURS 422: EKG/Monitor Observer (total of 30 students admitted) - Summer only
- Current CNA/LVN/RN license - (Must provide a copy at time of application)
EKG is no longer a CEU course here at AHC, however it is a valuable tool to have with your nursing career.
Allan Hancock College CNA program is approved by the California Department of Public Health and can be found listed on their CNA Training Program List.