Medical Assisting Certification
The Medical Assisting Program is a two-semester program starting in August (Fall) and ending in May (Spring). To be considered, you must apply and follow all instructions in the application.
Coursework takes place in both the classroom and lab setting to enable you to develop proficiency in maintaining and using aseptic techniques, administering specified medications under the direction of a physician, physician's assistant, nurse practitioner or podiatrist performing various laboratory test, and assisting the physician with minor surgery.
This program will prepare you for both front and back office skills required for employment as a medical assistant in a doctor's office or medical facility. You will be trained in maintaining medical records and interpreting medical terms used in medical records. You will be able to prepare income statements, work with financial accounting processes and systems and use standard medical office computer software.
Upon completion of the program you will be qualified to take a certifying examination by either the California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants or the American Medical Technologists certifying agency.
Students must complete 26.5 units for certification in this option. Students who do not pass all 1st semester courses cannot continue on to the 2nd semester.
Application period is March 15th - May 31 every year. Accepted students will be notified by email after application period ends.
Prerequisites for the Medical Assisting Certification (If using an equivalent course, you must provide Allan Hancocks unofficial transcripts with the application showing proof of equivalency)
- Eng 101 - completion or currently taking in spring
- Students must be age 18 (required by California Codes - Business and Professions Code Section 2069-2071)
- Complete Background Check and Drug Screening (required by clinical agencies utilized for externship) - Instructions for these are included in the acceptance packet
- Current CPR Card (American Heart Association, Healthcare Provider or American Red Cross, Professional Rescuer ONLY)
- Complete Health Physical and Immunization Record (required by clinical agencies utilized for externship) - The physical form is included in the acceptance packet