We're here to help

CalWORKs at AHC is a partnership between Allan Hancock College and the Department of Social Services. We serve our students who are currently receiving cash aid assistance.

 Visit the County of Santa Barbara Social Services webpage for more information.

Lifting families out of poverty through education!

What is CalWORKs? 

"California Work Opportunities & Responsibility to Kids", (CalWORKs), is a program which helps families to meet their basic needs with monthly cash assistance and services. Also, during a 48-month (four year) time limit, a qualified student-parent may receive help as they proceed with their education to earn a GED, Certificate, Associate's or Bachelor's degree which will ensure the future self-sufficiency of their family. In order to participate in the AHC CalWORKs Program, a parent must be receiving cash aid for themselves as well as for their children.

Student Support Services may include:

  • Priority Registration
  • School Supplies
  • Assistance with all paperwork
  • Free on campus Tutors
  • Academic, Career, & Personal Counseling
  • Student Education Plan (SEP)
  • Career/Job Development & Services
  • Referrals to Other Student Services, (EOPS/CARE, & NEXTUP, etc.)
  • Counseling on Welfare-to-Work (WTW) Requirements & Regulations
  • County Employment Specialists (CES) Worker located in our office
  • Work-Study (on/off campus jobs)
  • Computer Lab/ Laptop Lending Program
  • Emergency Transportation Assistance

CalWORKs Work-Study

The Allan Hancock College CalWORKs Work-Study Program provides CalWORKs students with the opportunity to obtain on-campus employment in order to develop and/or strengthen workplace skills while completing their educational goals. With the help of our campus employers, students may gain skills which will allow them to enter the workforce with the confidence that is needed to achieve career satisfaction and economic self-sufficiency. Work-Study allows students to earn money that will not be deducted from their monthly cash aid.

To be eligible for the Work-Study Program do this!

  • Be enrolled in AHC and be in good standing with the college
  • Be receiving cash aid for yourself and provide proof of cash aid from your worker
  • Be participating in the County’s “Welfare-to-Work” Program
  • Be enrolled in at least of 6 units in the Fall or Spring semester for credit classes (6 hours for non-credit)
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of (1) units if beginning with the Summer semester
  • Have a minimum (2.0) G.P.A.
  • Meet with a CalWORKs Coordinator, Specialist or Counselor each semester

To remain eligible for the Work-Study Program, a student must:

  • Submit proof of cash aid for each new semester
  • Maintain the minimum (6) units/hours each Spring and Fall semester and 1 units each Summer semester
  • Maintain a 2.0 G.P.A. for each semester
  • Meet with a CalWORKs Counselor, Coordinator or Specialist each semester
  • Maintain contact with Work-Study Coordinator as needed

Students interested in Work-Study should contact the CalWORKs Coordinator, Specialist or Peer Advisor at AHC  (1-805-922-6966 x3214) or their Caseworker at the County office.



Santa Maria
Student Services Building A, Second Floor  Room A201

Lompoc Valley Center   
Bldg 2, Room 113 (next to EOPS office)            


Santa Maria
Monday- Thursday,  8 am to 4:30 pm
Friday, 8 am to 4 pm

Monday- Friday,  8 am to 4 pm or by appointment. 



Top of Page


 We're on Facebook! 

Click to interact with us via Facebook. Current and former students and friends of EOPS, CARE, and CalWORKs are welcome!

Celebrating diversity

Multicultural video thumb

Follow Hancock

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-youtube Instagram Icon Flickr Icon More Social Media

Student Success Scorecard

Last Modified Oct 24, 2019