GE Certification

California State University (CSU) General Education Information

Intersegmental General Education Transfer (IGETC)

List of University of California AHC transferrable Courses
and AP Exams

GE Certification

What is it?    Why should I get it?   How do I get it? 

General Education (otherwise know as GE) certification is one way to satisfy lower division GE requirements at the California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC) campuses, as well as a few independent universities. In many cases, it can also enhance your chances of being accepted. Upon completion of the prescribed pattern, CSU GE or IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum), this certification will be posted to your AHC transcript. When you are admitted to the four-year institution, you will have your AHC transcript sent to the appropriate university, where an evaluator will note that you have been GE certified. Upon enrollment at the four-year university and acceptance of the certification, you will no longer be required to complete any additional lower division GE course work. This saves you time and money!

If all your GE coursework was completed at AHC, all you need to do is make an appointment with a counselor to complete a petition for certification. You should do this when you are enrolled in your last courses needed to complete the certification.

If you have completed course work at an institution other than AHC, then a pass-along certification form will need to be prepared by an AHC counselor and in some cases approved by the AHC articulation officer. This means that we will attempt to pass along another institution’s course work within AHC's approved GE certification pattern. In order to do this, you will have to provide us with the following:

If using other CA community college course work you will need to provide the CSU GE or IGETC pattern from the originating institution from the year the course work was completed.

If using CSU course work you will need to provide the GE pattern from the originating institution or course descriptions from the semester & year the courses were taken so that we may determine equivalencies.

If using course work from an out-of-state institution or a CA independent college or university or a UC campus, you will need to provide course descriptions and/or course syllabi from the semester and year the courses were taken so that we may determine equivalencies.

You will also need to provide us with a copy of your official transcript. Once the appropriate documentation is received, we can then submit the necessary paperwork for the certification to ensure a smooth transfer. 


Top of Page


James May

James May
Accounting Student

"My career goals as an accounting student are to fully immerse myself in the business world, to basically have an understanding of how businesses operate and function. The teachers seem to be very enthusiastic and very knowledgeable about what they're doing. Everything that has to do with learning how a business works is presented in a class. It's going to be very easy to apply anything that you learn here at school in the real world."
Read More »

I Chose Allan Hancock College

AHC - Start Here. Go Anywhere

Follow Hancock

icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-youtube icon-rss More Social Media

Student Success Scorecard

Last Modified Dec 10, 2014