Science Night Physics Demonstration
Message banner from MESA Student Recognition & Awards Reception
MESA students studying engineering physics
MESA students build a catapult at the annual Leadership Retreat
Exxon Mobile Santa Ynez facility industry tour
The Mathematics, Engineering, Science
MESA is an academic program that provides a wide range of support services and activities
aimed at fostering student achievement and increasing the success and participation
they experience while pursuing a degree in mathematics, engineering, computer science,
biology, architecture, kinesiology, or other science based programs. MESA enables
students to prepare for and graduate from a four-year university with a math-based
degree. It also seeks to increase the diverse pool of transfer-ready community college
students who are prepared to excel as math, engineering and science majors. Through
the program, students develop academic and leadership skills, increase educational
performance, and gain confidence in their abilities to compete academically and professionally.
"MESA sets high standards while providing the academic tools needed for helping students
to succeed. This deceptively simple approach is effective and has produced remarkable
Henry T. Yang
Chancellor, UC Santa Barbara
Benefits of MESA
- Enhance your educational experience while completing the first two years of a bachelor’s
- Gain industry knowledge
- Make friends who have similar academic and career interests
- Develop a close relationship with faculty members
- Develop and improve your academic leadership skills
- Raise your educational expectations
- Link with student and professional organizations to enhance your personal and professional
- Access state-of-the-art computer equipment and the Internet
- Orientation courses that transfer to CSU/UC
- Review Sessions, Organized Study Groups, & Tutoring
- Dedicated MESA student study center
- Scholarship and internship opportunities
- Career and leadership development activities
- Book loans (as available)
- Specialized student success seminars
- MESA Club participation
- Student Education Plans (SEP) and academic counseling
- University transfer recognition and support
Santa Maria Campus Room W-21
805-922-6966 ext. 3446
Monday -Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in June, July & August.
If you are a current MESA student you are eligible to schedule an appointment with a MESA Counselor or sign up for an MESA Activity.
Top of Page
We're on Facebook!
Click to interact with us via Facebook. AHC MESA Alumni are especially encouraged
to join us on Facebook and provide updates on your achievements and serve as a role
models to our current students.
mesa-A solution to the Economy
Video demonstrates how MESA is a solution to the California economy.
Computer Science Student
The first engineering class I took at Allan Hancock College was really challenging for me, but I thanked the counselor who showed me the way to the MESA program. There I was overwhelmed by all the resources offered and especially by all the students taking the same classes. Study groups with MESA students really made it easier for me to achieve. I am happy to say that I made it this far not only because of my determination to achieve a higher education, but also because of the wonderful people that I met at Hancock who encourage students to go the extra mile and accomplish their dreams.
Submit a Testimonial »