Children's Center Goals
In support of the Allan Hancock Joint Community College District, the Children’s Center
- Provides an efficient and effective child care/development
- Provides a teacher training system
- Is responsive to local community needs
- Offers a full range of services through a safe, healthful, and nurturing environments
The Infant/Toddler program provides a diverse environment that is nurturing, respectful,
developmentally appropriate, and culturally inclusive for children from 3 to 36 months
of age. Our guidelines are based upon practices endorsed by the Program for Infant
and Toddler Caregivers (PITC), National Association of the Education Young Children
(NAEYC), and Resources for Infant Educators (RIE). We ensure that the home cultures
of the children's families are reflected and respected in the program. We encourage
the parent's participation in the child's daily plan, needs, and routines. We believe
the child's family is the primary teacher, and we are their support system. We build
partnerships with the parents and support the families in their parenting role. Staff
provides materials and supportive environments so that:
- Each child spends quality time with his or her primary caregiver to provide an intimate
- Respect is shown to the infant/toddler by engaging him/her as an active participant,
rather than a passive recipient in all interactions.
- Realistic trust in the child’s environment is encouraged.
- Children understand their inner needs and are encouraged to communicate them through
gestures, sounds, signs, and words.
- Caregivers encourage and provide opportunities for quality development at each child's
stage of development.
- Caregivers provide flexibility and the capacity for children to learn from past experiences.
- Caregivers allow the children to problem solve and to make choices for themselves,
which include learning the consequences of their choices.
- Responsive care is using every opportunity to help the children learn, especially
during feeding, diapering, and sleeping routines.
The preschool program provides quality child care for children ages three through
5 years of age that ensures positive-cross-cultural, educational and social experiences,
and embraces opportunities to serve children of varying cognitive abilities, physical
abilities or developmental delays.
The curriculum is planned to reflect the needs, interests, and abilities of the children
within the guidelines of the program's philosophy. We provide a variety of opportunities
for each child’s need to develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually.
Children are encouraged to be actively involved in the learning process, to experience
a variety of developmentally appropriate activities and materials, and to pursue their
own interests. The daily schedule includes self-select opportunities, in addition
to group time in which the child's needs for routine and identity are met. Staff provides
materials and activities that are planned to:
- Foster positive self-concept
- Develop social skills with children and adults
- Encourage children to think, reason, question and experiment
- Enhance physical development and skills
- Enhance the development of language and communication
- Provide for individual differences and abilities
- Encourage creativity and appreciation of the arts
- Demonstrate sound health, safety, and nutritional practices
- Respect cultural diversity of staff and children
Top of Page
Computer Science Student
The first engineering class I took at Allan Hancock College was really challenging for me, but I thanked the counselor who showed me the way to the MESA program. There I was overwhelmed by all the resources offered and especially by all the students taking the same classes. Study groups with MESA students really made it easier for me to achieve. I am happy to say that I made it this far not only because of my determination to achieve a higher education, but also because of the wonderful people that I met at Hancock who encourage students to go the extra mile and accomplish their dreams.
Submit a Testimonial »