The Application period for 2013-2014 Dental Assisting program ended March 15, 2013.
You will need:
- Completed application
- Copy of High School Diploma, high school transcript or GED certificate showing completion.
- Copy of AHC transcript (can be printed from your myHancock portal.
- Completion of English 101 with a grade of "C" or better or currently in progress at
the time of application to be eligibile.
To apply for the Dental Assisting Program, you must submit a complete packet with
the items listed in step one. Incomplete packets will not be accepted. Upon receipt
of your completed packet, you will be placed on a list and assigned a position. The
first 24 seats are assigned on a first come first served basis.
Approved by the California Board of Dental Examiners, this two-semester (fall and
spring) program provides technical skills needed for employment in a dental office.
The student develops skills to participate as a member of the dental health team in
general chairside and specialty procedures, office management and x-ray techniques.
Admission to the dental assisting program requires the student to be a high school
graduate and obtain program application forms and follow outlined procedures for enrollment.
A grade of "C" or better in the designated dental assisting classes is required to
progress in the program. Students must complete English 101 with a grade "C" or better
to be eligible.
Upon successful completion of the program, students receive a certificate, an x-ray
license, and a coronal polishing sticker. They are then eligible to take the California
Registered Dental Assistants Exam. Students may also earn an Associate in Science
Degree in dental assisting.
Fall semester courses total 16 units and spring courses total 15.5 units and include
a 240-hour internship in dental offices.
(Program application is required)
- Students must be age 18 (required by California Codes - Business and Professions Code Section 2069-2071)
- Complete Background Check and Drug Screening (required by clinical agencies utilized for externship) - Instructions will be included
with acceptance letter.
- Complete Health Physical and Immunization Record (all childhood immunizations) (required by clinical agencies utilized for externship) - Instructions/form will be
included with acceptance letter.
- Current and Healthcare Provider CPR - Instructions will be included with acceptance letter, as this class is taken in
the summer during the mandatory orientation.
Top of Page
"In ten month's time I've gained the knowledge and skills to provide myself with a new, fun and interesting career in the dental assisting field. I've had instructors who are in the field and it really helped me to become prepared and know what's expected of me when I start at an office. I'm excited about the dental program: it took me from being stuck at a career roadblock to having almost endless career opportunities."
Read More »
See us in action
Video: Dental Assisting student Maricela talks about the real life experience she
gets in the program.